Today, I am 29 years-old!
I have never been this old before and I will never be this young again.
As I grow older I look forward to cultivating greater self-love, traveling to foreign lands, meeting like-minded people, making deep connections and friendships, reading more books, writing and publishing more words, watching my children grow up, acquiring more wisdom and experience.
It is a privilege to be 29. I am young but I am not so young. I have lived, learned and loved well but I have more living, learning and loving to do.
I celebrate today by sharing 29 of my favorite pearls of wisdom, lessons and quotes.
1. Life is what you make it.
2. This, too, shall pass.
3. The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.
4. Don’t take it personally.
5. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
6. Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
7. Love is all you need.
8. You can’t save people you can only love them. – Anais Nin
9. Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage – Anais Nin
10. Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. – Eleanor Roosevelt
11. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. – Eleanor Roosevelt
12. All good things are wild and free. – Henry David Thoreau
13. Stars can’t shine without darkness.
14. Be the light.
15. Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen.
16. Count your blessings.
17. Fear does not stop death. It stops life.
18. Make time for yourself.
19. You are what you eat, so don’t be cheap, easy or fake.
20. “My suggestion is that you start with the love and then work very hard and try to let go of the results.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
21. “Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.” – Pablo Picasso
22. Live simply, love deeply.
23. Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. – Albert Einstein
24. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. – Samuel Beckett
25. Reality is merely an illusion. Albeit a persistent one. – Albert Einstein
26. The best things and the worst things in life are tangled together, making regret impossible.
27. Never give up. – The Dalai Lama
28. There is nothing more artistic than to love people. – Vincent Van Gogh
29. Dreams come a size too big so that we can grow into them.
When I picked up my phone this morning, I headed straight for Instagram for some reason. The first post I saw was a quote from Maya Angelou and the words RIP. I scrolled down to see my feed filled with tributes.
A great woman passed on the morning of my 29th birthday, a woman whose wisdom I have long admired. It only makes sense that I would add an extra quote (you know, one to grow on)–a quote that has been a part of my Facebook profile for years though now somewhat buried, the information too static to be considered interesting.
And I’ll resist recalling every other quote of hers that I love. (But google her name if you’re a quote junkie.)
30. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou