Emile is seven today. Seven! A lucky number. A lucky boy. A lucky family.
It seems like every moment of every day I am praying to become a better parent. More than anything in my life, I want to do right by my children.
That being said, I can only be myself. My impatient, irritated, serious self. My silly, happy, affectionate self. My stepson, he certainly sees me at my best and my worst and because I love him wholeheartedly and unconditionally, he loves me the same way. I believe only a child’s love is guaranteed.
I have been in Emile’s life for nearly 5 years now. We’ve come a long way. From infatuation to fun to change to hard times and now into a steady rhythm. The transitions seem smoother these days. Sometimes he’s here, sometime’s he’s not. This brings a duality to all of our lives. A complexity, a challenge, a joy. Life is never dull, my friends.
In honor of Emile’s seventh birthday, I would like to share seven things I love about Emile:
1. His kind heart. Emile is always thinking about others. He chooses presents for Gigi from the treasure chest at school. He lets her borrow his favorite stuffed animals. He helps around the house. He’ll make you a card if you’re having a bad day.
2. His forgiving, flexible, easy-going nature.
3. His fierce love for his family. All of his family. Emile is the first to tell you: I have two moms and two dads. Gigi is my little sister and I am her big brother. We are the best of friends.
4. His listening eyes. Big, round, brown and gorgeous.
5. His art work and creativity. Our office is covered with it. This boy produces intricate and thought-provoking paintings every time he gets going. When he’s at home with Gigi and I for the whole month of August (!!) I’m planning on putting up a tent and turning our backyard into something like an art studio.
6. His infectious laugh and toothless smile.
7. His Tae Kwon Do moves. Just about the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.