For my 30th birthday blog post, I started a few different lists, including 30 lessons I’ve learned, and 30 reasons I’m glad to be 30.
But I realized I don’t want to look back on what I’ve learned and how I’ve changed, I want to look forward. I want to ask, what else is possible?
I feel as if I have been waiting my whole life to enter this decade. I have idealized my thirties as a time when I will know I have arrived in adulthood. Of course now that I’m here, I realize I’ve been in “it” for years.
This decade of my life in this body is unwritten. My hope is that these intentions serve as the architecture for what is to come:
1. I go to bed at a decent hour.
2. I share my thoughts in personal and public ways.
3. I write and read everyday.
4. I make new friends and keep the old.
5. I practice patience and equinimity.
6. I see more of the world.
7. I submit and publish my stories, essays and poetry.
8. I enjoy the life I have built and the person I discovered in me in my twenties.
9. I speak nicely to my husband and children.
10. I choose love.
11. I moderate my internet and social media usage.
12. I move my body daily and I eat organic, whole, tasty foods.
13. I balance consumption with creation.
14. I feel my feelings without trying to numb them.
15. I am confident in my talents and abilities.
16. I value my worth.
17. I give freely and I receive freely.
18. I believe in the beauty of my dreams.
19. I do not worry what others think of me or say about me.
20. I stay true to myself and my values.
21. I measure time in inspiration rather than productivity.
22. I believe in miracles.
23. I notice synchronicities, and I let them guide me.
24. I listen to my intuition and I follow my heart.
25. I read to my children.
26. I date my husband.
27. I stay connected with my loved ones.
28. I practice non-attachment.
29. I relax into the present moment.
30. I allow the universe to show up for me in exciting ways.
Writing this list felt good. A wave of well-being moves through my heart each time I read it.
Thank you for being here, and please feel free to add your own intention for the next decade of your life in the comments below.